How to stop craving sugar is a question many people ask me all the time and I have also experienced myself. I know is a huge problem we experience and mess up with our fitness goals.
So, with this article I want to help you to understand how and why we crave sugars and what we can do to avoid these crazy feelings.
Sugar is a chemical, it is bleached, processed and manufactured in a refinery and has no resemblance to sugar cane.
Sugar rots tooth enamel, disrupts digestion, feeds anxiety and depression and attaches to collagen causing our skin to age, line and wrinkle prematurely.
The more sugar you eat, the more your body has to make internal fat to wrap the corrosive sugar in and keep it away from your vital organs. It will usually store this around your bottom and thighs.
Sugar is highly addictive and like all addictions, finding out how to stop craving sugar is to stop eating it, once you stop eating it, the craving goes away, but you have to avoid it for about three months in order to cure the addiction and initiate weight loss. I know, I know, it is easier to say than do. But I have make some research about it and I want to share it with you..
Here are my tips to stop craving sugar:
- During the first few days/weeks without sugar, if you crave something sweet, break a 500mg capsule of L-glutamine onto your tongue and it will end the craving immediately.
- Sugar cravings are often a sign of being very low in zinc, magnesium and chromium. Take a combined chromium, magnesium and calcium supplement as this will balance your blood sugar levels. As your blood sugar levels balance, the craving for sugar decreases. Always take it on a full stomach. Foods rich in magnesium are apples, avocados, Brazil nuts, celery, parsley and fish. Chocolate is high in magnesium so if you crave chocolate you are probably lacking magnesium.
- Take one B complex vitamin every day. B vitamins are effective in curbing cravings for sugar because they provide a boost to the adrenal system. When the adrenal system is not functioning well, cravings for sugar increase. That is for sure.
- Take a daily zinc supplement. Zinc can reduce sugar cravings. Prawns, pumpkin seeds and almonds are rich in zinc and B vitamins.
- Low serotonin levels can trigger food cravings and bingeing. Increase serotonin by taking either 5htp or L-tryptophan as it increases serotonin production. A boost in serotonin lifts the mood and reduces cravings for sugar. Foods rich in serotonin are eggs, coriander, bananas, avocados, poultry, pears and celery.
- Your body will crave sugar if it lacks essential nutrients and vitamins. Many vitamins cannot be absorbed without fat so don’t make the classic mistake of taking supplements while eating a low fat diet as you will miss out on the benefits as the vitamins won’t be properly absorbed. Oily fish, olives, avocados and raw nuts and seeds have the essential oils you need that you must include in your diet. A little every day is perfect. Fat does not make you fat but sugar does. Just make sure is not Saturated Fat, ONLY GOOD FATS!!!
- Allow yourself to enjoy naturally sweet foods like grapes and berries. If you feel you must have something sweet add a little Pure Honey to your green tea at night or onto berries during the day. At night, I sometimes have 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt and add vanilla protein powder and PB powder to make myself a “protein pudding.“ it’s delicious!!!!
- If you particularly crave sugar around the time of your period, take Agnus Castus for ten days every month as it balances out hormones and stops PMT cravings and mood swings.
- Grab some gum. I use also the GUM emergency effect …. If you want to avoid giving in to a sugar craving completely, try chewing a stick of gum, research has shown that chewing gum can reduce sugar cravings.
- Plan your meals in advance, lack of planning will definitely take you to eat what you don’t need to be eating. Planning will help you to eat what you intend to eat, instead of eating when you’re craving.
Lastly, go easy on yourself. It may take time to get a used to any new habits and mostly on your sugar cravings. And like I alway say, Drink plenty of water throughout the day!!!